The John Edwards 1972 classic The African Campaign is back in print as of October 18, 2017 from Compass Games. The game comes with updated rules, counters, and a fantastic graphic design overhaul that brings a game not touched in 40 years back to the table. Compass Games has a strong track record with releasing boxed versions of magazine games and wargaming gems that have been out of print for quite some time.
This time around, the project was overseen by John Kranz and his influence in the graphic design is evident though he did not act as the artist. So…what do you get for $57.00 MSRP?
- Complexity: 4 out of 10
- Solitaire Suitability: 8 out of 10
- Time Scale: 2 turns per month
- Map Scale: 12 miles (19 kilometers) per hex
- Unit Scale: battalion to division
- Players: one or two, best with two
- Playing Time: three to four hours
- One and one-half Maps (17″ x 50.75″ map size)
- One Countersheet of 5/8” unit-counters
- Two Order of Battle Appearance Cards 11″ x 14″
- Two Player Aid Cards 8.5″ x 11″
- Rules Booklet
- Six-sided Die
- Box and Lid
I am particularly fond that this game says you get the box AND the lid. Just a funny little feature that I think bears notice when filling out a product feature list. Everything looks stunning, I opened my copy today and was thrilled to see the matte finish map and that the overlap on the two included maps is EASY to get lined up correctly.